Frequently asked questions
What is The Club at Peninsula Papagayo?
What facilities does the club offer?
• The Ocean Course at Peninsula Papagayo
18-hole Arnold Palmer Signature golf course
• Tennis Complex
Four courts with the clay-like Har-Tru surface
One grass court
• The Clubhouse at Ocean Course
Men’s and women’s locker rooms
Golf bag storage
• The Clubhouse at Prieta Beach
What programs does the club offer?
Each season the club features a fresh collection of only-here outdoor activities, fitness classes, camps, workshops, expeditions, and social events to help members and their families connect and immerse in another culture through adventure, exploration, and nature-based experiences. To access the current club calendar, click here.
Who is eligible to acquire a membership in the club?
Memberships in the club are currently being offered exclusively to Peninsula Papagayo property owners. To view current residential opportunities, click here.
Each initial purchaser of a residence or homesite in the community and each resale purchaser of a residence or homesite in the community (from a member in good standing) must within 90 days of closing submit a membership application and pay the required deposit to avoid having to pay a non-refundable eligibility fee as discussed in the Membership Plan.
What happens if I do not acquire a membership within 90 days of closing?
If you do not apply for a membership within 90 days of closing, you may apply for a membership at a later date only if one is available and not otherwise reserved by the club, and only upon payment of the membership deposit and eligibility fee in effect at the time the membership is acquired.
What types of membership are being offered?
Two primary categories of membership are currently being offered: Golf Membership and Sports Membership.
How many memberships will be offered?
Membership is capped at 300 Golf Members and 50 Sports Members on a first-come, first-served basis.
What are the current initiation fees?
Prospective members are required to pay a refundable membership deposit (and non-refundable eligibility fee, if applicable) established by the club at the time the membership is acquired.
Sports Membership Deposit (2023) – $100,000
Golf Membership Deposit (2023) – $100,000
What are the annual dues?
The annual membership dues for the 2023 calendar year are as follows:
Sports Membership – $19,500
Golf Membership – $24,500
Dues are payable quarterly, in advance.
What are the privileges of a Golf Membership?
Golf Members are entitled to use all of the golf, tennis and social facilities including the Clubhouse at Prieta Beach and the Clubhouse at Ocean Course. Golf Members enjoy priority advance booking privileges and are not required to pay playing fees or court fees for use of the golf and tennis facilities. Golf cart usage, range balls and golf club storage are all complimentary.
Short term rental guests staying in a Golf Member’s residence are allowed to use the Club Facilities upon payment of applicable fees and in accordance with the Membership Documents.
What are the privileges of a Sports Membership?
Sports Members are entitled to use all of the golf, tennis and social facilities including the Clubhouse at Prieta Beach and the Clubhouse at Ocean Course. Sports Members are allocated twelve (12) tee times each year at a preferred rate. Additional tee times may be purchased at the unaccompanied guest rate. Sports Members are not required to pay court fees for use of the tennis facilities. Advance sign-up privileges for tee times and court bookings are possible subject to Golf Members priority. Sports Members may use the golf practice facilities when playing golf during their reserved tee time.
Short term rental guests staying in a Sports Member’s residence are not allowed to use the Club Facilities.
Will my family members be welcome at the club?
Each membership in the Club is a vertical membership, which allows membership privileges for the member’s spouse or any person designated as a member’s significant other, along with their children, parents, grandparents, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren and the spouses or significant others of such family members who do not own a residence in the Community. All the privileges and benefits of a membership will be attributed to these individuals while they are on property with or without the primary member on site. The Club intends to provide programs and activities that are appealing to family members of all ages.
May I invite guests to the club?
Members may invite guests use the club facilities in accordance with the member’s category of membership and the rules and regulations adopted by the club to preserve the exclusivity of its facilities. The club may limit the number of outside guests and the number of times a particular guest may use the club facilities during each membership year.
What are some of the special features of membership?
• Refundable Membership Deposit. One hundred percent (100%) of the membership deposit actually paid for a membership, less a 20% transfer fee, is refundable upon resignation and re-issuance of the membership, as further described in the Membership Plan.
• Vertical Family Privileges. A member’s spouse or any person designated as a member’s significant other and their children, parents, grandparents, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren and the spouses or significant others of such family members, who do not own a residence in the community are entitled to use privileges while they are on property with or without the member on site.
• Resigned Memberships Reissued Prior to Membership Sell-Out. Resigned members do not have to wait until all new memberships in the club have been issued before their membership is reissued, as provided for in the Membership Plan.
• No Assessments. Members are not subject to operating or capital assessments.
• Transferability of Memberships. Memberships are transferable through the club to the subsequent purchaser of a member’s residence or homesite in the community.
• Preferred Pricing. Members are entitled to receive discounts at resort outlets and on resort services as set forth in the Schedule of Dues, Fees and Charges.
• Legacy Transfer. Members can request the transfer of their membership through the Club to their adult child or grandchild as further described in the Membership Plan.
• Inheritability. Upon the death of a member, the membership can be transferred to his or her spouse (or significant other) or an adult transferee as further described in the Membership Plan.
• Lessee Privileges. Golf Member privileges may be temporarily transferred to a lessee.
• Concierge Services. A bespoke concierge service is available that enables members to arrange for a variety of personal services and business assistance.
• Club Newsletter. Members receive periodic newsletters containing information about events and activities at the club and other items of interest.
• Website. The club website provides access to regular updates on club programs and special events.
• Mobile App. The Club Essentials Mobile App makes it easy to access the club calendar and make dining and tee time reservations on the fly.
What services are provided by the club concierge?
The concierge service enables members to arrange a variety of personal services including dinner reservations, airline tickets, tours, outings, local transfers, shuttle service, car rentals, and business assistance such as copies and faxes. The concierge service is included with a membership, but the cost of services used will be charged to the member.
When will my membership deposit be refunded?
Refundable membership deposits less a 20% transfer fee are refunded without interest within 30 days after the re-issuance of the resigned membership by the club, in accordance with the “Transfer of Membership” provision in the Membership Plan.
Can I arrange to have my membership transferred to the subsequent purchaser of my residence or homesite?
Yes. Members who own a residence or homesite in the community will be permitted to arrange through the club for the transfer of their membership to the subsequent purchaser of their residence or homesite. The subsequent purchaser must be approved for membership and pay the then required membership deposit which is then in effect. The subsequent purchaser must acquire the membership within 90 days of the real estate closing in order to avoid having to pay an eligibility fee. The ability to arrange for the transfer of a member’s membership to the purchaser of his or her property is an important attribute of membership because, even if there are no memberships available for issuance in the club at the time, the subsequent purchaser can nonetheless obtain the seller’s membership through the club provided the purchaser is approved for membership.
What happens if my subsequent real estate purchaser does not wish to acquire my membership?
A resigned membership which is not being transferred to the member’s subsequent real estate purchaser in the Community will be placed on a waiting list and will be reissued on a first-resigned, first-reissued basis as follows:
(A) Prior to the initial sale of all memberships within a membership category, every fourth membership issued in that category (1 in 4) will be a resigned membership from the waiting list, provided there is a resigned membership on the waiting list. The other three memberships sold will be from the Club’s unissued memberships. This procedure allows the reissuance of resigned memberships prior to the initial issuance of all memberships in the Club.
(B) After the initial sale of all memberships within a membership category, each membership sold in that category will be a resigned membership from the waiting list.
Who owns the club facilities?
The club facilities are owned by the master developer of Peninsula Papagayo, Ecodesarrollo Papagayo S.R.L., a Costa Rican corporation. The Ocean Course, and the Clubhouse at Ocean Course, are operated by Four Seasons under an agreement with the master developer. The Clubhouse at Prieta Beach is operated by the master developer.
Can non-members use the club facilities?
The club permits guests staying at resort hotels and associated branded residences on Peninsula Papagayo to use designated club facilities on such terms and conditions as the club determines appropriate. Short term rental guests staying in a Golf Member’s residence are allowed to use the club facilities upon payment of applicable fees and in accordance with the Membership Documents.
How does club management stay informed about the desires of the members?
The Club is committed to providing the types of services, programs, activities and events that the membership is desirous of having. An Advisory Committee comprised of members and management meets every calendar quarter to review matters of interest to the membership.